Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Beginning

Let's see...  I'll be sharing my crafts and so called "artwork" here.

But first.  A little introduction...  I guess you can still call me a student.  Haven't really entered the workforce, which is hard to get into these days.  I recently, a little over a year now, focused more into making crafts, arts, and other "random stuff" that some might find interesting while others find waste of time.  Speaking of which, I used to be a hardcore gamer (MMORPG) and time sure flies with that.  Maybe I'll talk about my gaming days for another time.  I manage to get myself out of that addiction, a bit late but I'm happy I did.

So back on how I started crafting and pulled myself out of gaming.  One day, I found myself looking at these small figures "Stikfas",about 3" tall.  At first glance, they're like a child's toy which probably discourage me the first time I saw it.  But something click inside me, what if there are more than just regular toys.  Apparently there's a bunch of things you can do with 'em-assemble, pose, mix, and the best part 'customize'.  But what grab my attention is the variety and the poses you can do with 'em.  Plus, the figures aren't that expensive, well unless you start hoarding them which I ended up doing. haha.


Like most curious toy enthusiast, I searched online for news, stuff, and other things you can do with 'em.  Found this clip of stop animation by Errol, The Fight. Well that clip pretty much sold me into getting a few of 'em.  Who wouldn't want to animate like that? hehe.  Well little did I know, animating is "mind-numbing" as Errol pointed out.  Nonetheless, I found other ways to play with my new found hobby, stikfas.

I ended up making custom stikfas.  What's this "customizing"? I view stikfas as a blank slate, as most customizers do.  It's like a "Do It Yourself" (DIY) project.  Make it whatever you want, which fits in to what I have been doing ever since, make toys.  (I use to make toys from scrap when I was little. hehe)  With that, I found a couple of stikfas forum online, one of which is Stikfanatics and the other Hobbicide.  Found some knowledgeable and talented customizers.  They know who they are. hehe.

XW-IIPiggy and BowlLiger Foam Art (looks like Starfox logo)DSC00173
But aside from stikfas I also sculpt in ceramics, sketch drawings, and dab a little in papercraft.  I really enjoyed my ceramic class in highschool.  Luckily after college, my teacher still host an evening class for adults.  I made a couple of coinbanks, sculptures, pots and others which you'll see as the days progress.  (I might post the previous ones i made too)  I also like to draw, though I'm still getting the hang of it.  As for papercraft, I used to download templates and make 'em.  But lately i just switch my focus on making stuff in ceramics and stifkas.  Almost forgot, i also have an on-going origami project which you see in my profile pic.

I think that's a good introduction, I hope. lol.  Well hopefully you'll know me more on my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment